Monday, October 31, 2011

Armadillos and Thongs?


There are many times I have had the honor and privilege of visiting with friends.  We share ambitions, thoughts, joys, and blessings.  I am thankful for good friends who share hilarious, real life stories with me.  At this moment I am recalling a couple of stories my friend, Tammy Johnson shared with me that make my heart laugh.

Tammy was driving to camp and as she came up the hill she saw a family of armadillos crossing the road.  With no time to stop…her car went bump bum pity bum up the hill.  Tammy was thinking, “I hope that didn’t damage my car!”  After she was at camp for a while the Majerus girls came in to work and said, “You should of seen the road, there was a massacre of armadillos all over!” Tammy said, “Yes, I hit them.  It was awful…bump bum pity bump….”

Throughout my life time I have found that the names of things change and it can be challenging to switch names.  For instance, believe it or not, growing up in the 60’s and 70’s flip flops were called “thongs”. My friends, Tammy and her four children, Sarah, Jacob, Halley, and Russell were selling fireworks to the public for the 4th of July under a tent.  During the shift change Russell and one of his siblings were headed to the car.  Suddenly, Tammy observed that Russell, age 8, had forgotten his flip flops.  Hurriedly, Tammy picked up the flip flops and yelled,   “Russell, don’t forget your thongs!” as she waved them in the air.  “Here they are!”  Customers and employees looked up and around with questioning and puzzled looks on their faces.  It was as if you could read their thoughts.  “A little boy has thongs?”  “What is Russell doing with thongs?”  Chuckling, Sarah said, “Mom, I think you mean flip flops!

God forbid I would ever be sad.  But if I do feel sad, then I remember all God has blessed me with.  I recall such stories as these two.  You see, God allows us to choose our thoughts everyday.  We write the story of our life.  And I just want to say that the joy and happiness I feel in my heart are because of God’s blessings.  My friend and these stories are just some of His gifts to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment