Friday, October 7, 2011

Our 4th Grade Play


Being a 4th grade student of Mrs. Pursley at Leonard Elementary School I learned a lot.  There were even times that I experienced life lessons.  As I reflect, I understand I have been allowed to decide the path my life takes.  I can choose to empower myself and others with gratefulness and happiness, or not.   

Our class was given the opportunity to present a play about kings and queens.  Excitement was building as we prepared.  We read the play aloud, decorated props, chose a time, and studied the different characters, and invited parents.

It was decided to use parliamentary procedure to place the student with the characters in the play.  There were three or four speaking parts I desired greatly.  I was nominated, but not elected.  However, I was chosen for a nonspeaking part in which I was to water the ducks.  I thought, “Well, that is just wonderful!”  I was disappointed. 

My family encouraged me to be the best “duck waterer” the class ever had.  Slowly, I began putting my heart into it.  I chose an outfit from my mother’s clothing and found a beautiful watering pitcher.  I pretended to water the ducks with tender loving care.  However, my heart was into watching my peers practice!  The teacher encouraged them to put expression with their words, and I loved every minute of it.  As I rode the school bus home, I would sit and just read the play two or three times through everyday for weeks.

When opening day arrived, I was excited to water the ducks.  The play went great.  The next day we were to present the play to our parents.  When our teacher entered the classroom that morning, she had an announcement.  With a sober expression on her face she said, “I am sorry to say that Dennis is sick with a respiratory infection.”  I empathized with the illness since I had endured many respiratory infections myself; and, I was sad he was sick.  Mrs. Pursley continued to share that Dennis would not be in school and would not be participating in the play.  This left our play in a dilemma.  We needed an actor for the part.  Who could pull this off at the spur of the moment?  It was decided to have try outs.  And that is what I did.  I tried out and in fact I had the lines memorized.  I remember seeing my teacher’s mouth drop open.  After the try outs the teacher and student teacher presented the part to me.  And I was thrilled.

We had two rehearsals before the play and then it was show time.  My mother was in the audience and had no idea I was to act a new part.  The play was great!  My mother would have been thrilled with me no matter what part I had.

Life is full of choices.  I had a choice to linger in disappointment or hasten on in excitement for the production.   I am thankful my mother encouraged me to be my best.  I am thankful I chose to take my mother’s advice, to be happy, to keep a positive attitude, and to enjoy every aspect of the play.  When a classmate became sick and the production of the play was challenged, I was prepared.  When I took the speaking part, my spot was vacant.  My friend was thrilled to take my duck waterer part and another classmate who did not have a part at all got a part in the play.  In fact, I helped my teachers, the whole cast of the play, the parents, and the sick boy.  Actually, the most rewarding part of my experience was helping all those people.

If I had chosen to wallow in self pity and disappointment, then I would have helped no one.  As a mother, I encourage my children to be winners instead of whiners.  Life has many twists and turns.  And who knows where a positive uplifting attitude will lead you down this journey of life.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment