Sunday, November 6, 2011

We Choose!


We choose our attitude in life.  We choose to be kind to people.  We choose to be happy for the blessings in life.  We choose to put our trust in Our Lord and Savior, or to doubt Him.  It is easy to choose to be happy, when everything is going our way.  What do we choose when we are faced with a challenge?  Over and over in my life, God allows my faith to be tested in these areas.
 
Recently my youngest daughter, Hannah, spent a few days sick in bed.  Aching in nearly every muscle and joint in her body, she required assistance in walking and turning over in bed.  One day she could not lift her arms to eat; I fed her potato soup and a turkey sandwich that day.  Her blood pressure was as low as 72/44 on the first visit with the doctor.  The doctor, also, ordered many blood tests for lyme disease, some 200 different bacterial infections, cat scratch fever, and auto immune illnesses.   

Needless to say I struggled with worry and trusting God.  Every time a negative thought entered my mind, I replaced it with a positive thought. I reminded myself that God is in control and loves us more than my mind can ever conceive.

After the first doctor visit, I picked up the antibiotics for Hannah.  Being thankful to have antibiotics for Hannah’s recovery, I met a dear friend in line behind me. She asked, “How are you and your family?”  I shared with her about Hannah’s health situation.  The young lady, a checker, named MacKenzie, listened to the conversation and exclaimed, “I had those same symptoms last summer.  It was really bad, but I got better.  The doctor ran blood tests and could not determine the illness, but I recovered fully.”  In my heart I believed Hannah would recover, but I all the same appreciated those encouraging words.

On another doctor visit Hannah was leaning into me, while I had my arm around her.  I was holding her up so she could walk to the van.  Two young men were standing by a car when one of them said, “Are you having a decent day?”  I said, “What?”  The boy repeated, “Are you having a decent day?”  My first thought was, “Really?  You are kidding?  We are struggling out of the doctor’s office and feeling terrible and you ask a question like that?”  The more appropriate question would have been, “How can we help you?”  Refraining from being sarcastic, I remembered that every day is a gift from God and I wanted to choose to be happy.  I replied kindly, “No, we are having a wonderful day!”  Surprised, the boy said, “Really?  Well, that is good.”

That night I prayed.  Hannah could not lift her arms to feed herself.  As I stood in front of the stove warming a bowl of soup up for Hannah, doubts began creeping in my mind.  Thoughts such as her muscles are breaking down and so forth.  I prayed.  And then the young lady from Smitty’s Grocery appeared in my mind.  MacKenzie survived healthy.  It is viral regardless of the test results that said negative.  Hannah will be healthy, too.  I felt peace.  I believe God puts people in your life for a reason.  MacKenzie was sent from God!  She is a blessing; her story kept me hanging onto the faith.

Late, the next afternoon, I traveled to the doctor’s office to update the doctor on Hannah’s condition and check on the blood tests.  The nurse sate down with me in the waiting room.  I smiled and informed the nurse, “Hannah says her behind is sore.  We are walking more just around the house and I am letting her move as much on her own as possible no matter how much it hurts her.”  Nicole, the nurse, said, “That is perfect!  She must move around or other conditions such as pneumonia could set in.  Most of the test results are returning negative.  Dr. Brus has decided that Hannah has a virus that has really gotten her down.”  “Virus?  That is good news!”, I said with tears in my eyes.  “Yes, it really is!” 

On Friday, Dr. Brus walks in the room and says, “What is this, no wheel chair today?”  We had to use a wheel chair for all the other visits.  We just smile and say you are right.  He then informs us, “Hannah, you are 1 out of 500 people who have these severe flu symptoms!”  Hannah smiles and she replies, “I am a special person!”  “I want to see you next week just to check on your recovery.  You are no longer contagious and you can do what physical activity you feel strong enough to do!”  Those were sweet words and I thanked God as we walked to the van.

Hannah’s condition improved greatly over the next couple of days.  I continued to think about MacKenzie and how she helped me with her story.  I decided to look her up at Smitty’s to thank her.  I found her in the break room.  “MacKenzie, I so appreciate your sharing with me that you had the same condition as Hannah and that I have come personally to tell you thank you.  I want you to know that you are a blessing and a gift.  Your story kept me hanging on to the faith!”  She smiled quietly and sweetly said, “Thank you”.

I do not want to forget the prayers from great friends, who called several times checking on Hannah, and my brothers and sisters at church who prayed and called.  And for Grams whose support and help go beyond saying.  God is so good! 

2 comments: