Friday, October 21, 2011

Over The Top Of Thrill Hill


“Teresa, you ornery thing!!!” my Dad exclaimed as we flew over a steep hill in rural Half Way, Missouri.  This steep hill known as Thrill Hill has provided a roller coaster experience for our family and friends.  Over the years my family has a few Thrill Hill tales to share.

One of my first experiences was at age18.  I was driving my Mom, Dad, and Grandpa back home early one morning.  My Dad and Grandpa were nearly asleep in the backseat of the Oldsmobile and oblivious to our location.  As we approached Thrill Hill, I decided to gain speed and just as we began to top the hill I removed my foot from the gas pedal.  This gave everyone a flying sensation.  My Dad and Grandpa were startled and I heard my Dad gasp!  Grandpa and Mom snickered as my Dad made verbal exclamations.

Another experience was with our three children.  Steve and I were driving to Papa and Meme’s (my parents) for a visit.  “Are we there yet?  Hannah is bothering me!  Chris is on my side!”  As usual our three kids were restless riding in the car so we decided to give them a little ride down Thrill Hill.  Three sets of eyes grew in diameter and three mouths opened wide.  “Ohhhhhh!!”  And then three faces with dancing eyes and smiles were laughing.  “Do that again!”

Another time Hannah dropped something on the floor of the van.  She unfastened her seat belt to retrieve the item.  Just as she set back up, her behind lifted up off the seat.  “Whoa!  It felt like the van came off the road and was flying!”

Today when we are all riding together which is rare, we just hope to catch someone unaware of their surroundings!  Surprise!  Another short Thrill Hill ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment