Sunday, October 2, 2011

My First Boyfriend


In the late summer of 1963 I prepared to attend first grade at Emma D. Schools in a little town called Goodson, Missouri.  Emma D. Schools was a grade school with only two classrooms and two teachers; there was one class room for grades 1 through 3 and another classroom for grades 4 through 6.  Yes, there were three grades in my classroom.
  
Believe it or not I never attended kindergarten, I prepared to enter first grade.  It was a huge change in my life and I was looking forward to it.  I remember my mother taking me to the Five and Dime to purchase my school supplies for the first time.  I chose a big red pencil and red eraser, crayons, paint brushes, a Big Chief Tablet, water colors, and a cigar box to put all my supplies in.

“You will like first grade school.  You will make a lot of new friends!”  Aunt Emma Lou shared with me.  I was excited about this new endeavor in my life.  My Uncle Floyd then added, “And you will probably find a boyfriend in school!”  I thought, “Well, I do not really know what that means, but it sounded like a lot of fun!”  I just listened and took it all in.

When the first day of school arrived, my mom dropped me off and said she would see me that afternoon.  Remember to get on bus number 3 with cousin, Rita.  I had a GREAT day at school learning my alphabet and making things.  At the end of the day I walked out the front door of the school with the other students to get on the bus to go home.  I recalled my parents telling me to get on bus number 3.  Or was it bus number 2?  I could not remember, so I just got on bus number 2.  I looked all over for my cousin Rita.  I could not see her anywhere and then the bus driver said sit down and the bus took off.

I rode and rode and rode.  I saw parts of rural Half Way I had never seen before.  I began wondering if I would ever get home.  The kids on the bus were loud and they seemed huge in size to me.  One high school boy started teasing me.  I just looked at him timidly.  Another high school boy walked to my seat and sat down beside me.  He turned to the bully and said, “You leave my girl friend alone!”  That was all it took and no one else bothered me. 

Finally, all the kids were taken to their homes and dropped off including my new boyfriend.  Then I saw familiar territory.  It was my grandparents place.  The bus driver knew whose family I belonged to.  My mother and father and grandparents were frantic when I did not get off the bus with cousin, Rita.  “Are you okay?” asked everyone and hugging me.  “Yes, I sure am.  And I had a great day at school.  And I have a boyfriend!” I excitedly informed everyone!

My first boyfriend stepped off the bus that early evening.  How I wish I would have asked for his name.  If I knew who he was, I would say thank you for making my ride bearable and I would say thank you for making me feel so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment