Thursday, October 27, 2011

October People and Mud Puddles

 Growing up in Polk County 40 years ago, Halloween was much different than it is today.  It was a time to dress in a fun costume just to let people try to guess who you are.  It was about going to friends’ homes to visit and to receive huge amounts of candy that would last for months.  It was communities of families gathering for fellowship. 

In the second grade I attended a rural elementary school in Polk County.  I was a student in Mrs. Cansler’s class.  She taught two grades in the same room; the grades were first and second.  I learned a lot and enjoyed the experience greatly.  That autumn Mrs. Cansler announced that there would be an All School Halloween Party for students (grades 1-6) and their families.  Everyone could dress up in costume, and an award for the best costume would be given.  There would be a hot dog roast, marshmallows could be toasted, and games.

I could not wait.  My mother helped me choose a cat costume complete with tail and whiskers.  My brother chose his, too, which was a pirate.  Later, I heard my parents talking.  My Dad was going to dress up including one of his friends.  He was going to cut the tail off of is horse to use for a wig in his hobo costume.  “Whatever you do, keep this a secret.  We want to surprise everyone!” he told me.  I wanted very much to share my information with a friend at school the next day, but I remain true to my Dad’s wishes.

On the night of the event I saw my Dad and his friend, Clifford come in the front door of the school.  Friends were looking at the two strangers and each other wondering who in the world these two outrageous people could be!?  Whenever anyone approached them they stomped their feet and shook their fists or fingers.  Even though I knew it was my Dad, it still frightened me a little.

Shortly, all the students of Polk School lined up on the stage for people to vote on the best costume for each grade.  It was fun whether you won or not.  The adults lined up and My Dad and Clifford came on the stage.  They would not take off their masks, shaking their fists and stepping away from Mrs. Cansler.  However, she was undaunted and finally yanked their masks off.  The whole room full of people exploded with laughter, as they discovered who the two characters were, and not expecting either to be so outrageous and daring!

After the costume judging, we all proceeded to the bonfire to roast hotdogs and marshmallows.  While eating a couple of boys walked up to several of us younger girl students.  They said, “I bet you are too scared to walk around the music building like we just did!”  My friend, Sharon, exclaimed, “We certainly are not scared of anything!”  She was not going to let any boy outwit or outdo her! 

Several of us began slowly walking around the building which had one dark side on the last corner of the building.  Just as we were rounded the corner those ornery boys jumped out at us.  Being only 7 years old and very naïve, I did not expect the boys to deceive us in that way!  I was startled and the adrenaline kicked in.  I ran ahead of everyone straight to safety, the community of friends, at the bonfire.  There was a huge mud puddle that I forgot about.  I saw it, but could not slow down.  I ran right through it and lost my shoe in the middle of the quagmire!  Yuck!

I turned around hopping on one foot, stopping my sprint at last.  One of the Dads reached in the puddle and pulled my shoe out and handed it to me.   I put my squishy shoe back on and walked around for it to dry out.  I only laughed at the comical situation and decided to learn from the experience.  Goodness gracious, there will be an opportunity to give those boys a scare of their own in the future.

I am grateful for the camaraderie I felt with fellow classmates, their families and my teachers.  Relationships are what life is all about!  Proverbs 19:24 says, “A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly; and there is a friend that sticketh closer that a brother.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment