Sunday, October 16, 2011

Overnight Camping Adventures

 

This great family memoir is written by my daughter, Hannah Stewart.




Woof  wooooof!  The ominous howl of the coyotes creeping outside our tent was enough to send chills down my spine.  Our camping trip was both entertaining and adventurous because we had bees in our tent, coyotes howling outside our tent, and our cat scaring us.

As soon as we had set up the tent, some uninvited friends came, and I did not like them very much.  Ouch, ouch something was stinging us. BEES!  The black and yellow bugs flying inside our tent looked vicious.  They thought they had found a new home.  Mom put some honey in the tent to catch them.  After an hour or two, we went outside to see if they were still there.  Some of them were stuck to the honey and the other had left.  Now we were ready for bed.  We put our sleeping bags down, and started setting in for the night.

The coyotes were starting to come out and howl.  I hated that sound;  it gave me cold chills.  I could hear the crunching of the leaves where the coyotes were walking.  Then one howled, it was so loud it seemed like they were right outside our tent.  I looked out one of the windows of the tent to see how close they were.  And I saw two or three walking around the tent.  Watching them circle out tent was so nerve-racking.  I just wanted to run inside the house.  The coyotes finally decided to leave, and I was almost asleep, when I heard something.  What happened next scared me the most.

Witnessing the zipper on the tent go up was one of the most horrifying thing to see and hear.  I felt like I was frozen, unable to move or scream.  I told myself that there was a logical explanation for this.  I was relieved when I saw that it was one of my cats, Star.  He wanted to sleep with us.  The rest of the night was calm and I actually got some sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment