Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Importance Of A Positive Attitude?


The Importance Of A Positive Attitude?

Dale Carnegie said in his book, Winning Friends and Influencing People that “Happiness doesn’t depend on any external conditions; it is governed by our mental attitude.”  There are many unhappy adults and children in this world.  Parents go to great lengths to keep their children happy by changing external conditions; rather than, encouraging a positive mental attitude.

My youngest daughter, Hannah, sees this play out everyday in babysitting, coaching gymnastics, and in other relationships in her life.  She shared some of what she has learned about external conditions and mental attitude in a college English paper she wrote.

Spoiled Children
By Hannah Stewart

“Is your child spoiled?  Spoiling a child can have serious short term and long term effects on his or her life.  Spoiled children exhibit many behavioral and social problems, such as, being mouthy, throwing a temper tantrum, failing at work, and failing in personal relationships, existing throughout their while life.

One of the effects of spoiled children is being mouthy.  Karen, a gymnastic student of mine, is constantly disrespectful.  “That one does not count.  You did not turn on your toe, “I told the five year old gymnast.  She replies, “Well, you did not see it, because I did turn on my toe!”  “I stood here and watched you, Karen.  Do not tell me that I did not see it!”  Karen defiantly said, “You do not know what you are talking about!”  Karen, I have been in gymnastics for over 10 years.  I know exactly what I am talking about!”  I turned and walked away from her.  I deal with this behavior of spoiled children daily.  Spoiled children are frustrating, challenging to be around, and disrespectful.

Spoiled children do not like to share their toys with anyone and throw temper tantrums.  For example, Joan received a toy for her birthday, a Furbie.  I have never seen this toy before, and I wanted to see how the Furbie worked.  Joan said, “No, you might break it!  Besides it is my birthday present.”  I left Joan alone, and I went to play with my toys.  At my birthday party, Joan wants to play with my new toys.  She immediately takes them out of my hands.  “Give Hannah’s toy back to her, Joan, said one of the adults.  Joan put my toy back into my hands reluctantly.  She, then, proceeds to fall on the floor screaming and beating her hands and feet on the floor.  “Nobody likes me.  I want the Furbie.”  I could not believe what happened next.  The parent asked if I would allow Joan to play with my toys.  I responded, “Well, I guess so.”  Joan looked at me and smirked.

A long term effect of spoiling a child is failing to keep a job and failing to keep friends.  These people often make bad choices and get into trouble.  “Oh, I do not feel like going to work today.”  Their parents at this time are not there to bail them out.  When they lose their job and cannot pay the rent, they might think, “I can just ask my parents for more money.”  Parents may get tired of this and finally decide to stand up to their child and say, “No, you need to find a job and keep it.”  Another long term effect is anger.  Many times these people with anger issues take it out on their wife and/or their children and co-workers.  This is very degrading, and as a result, people with anger issues fail to keep any long-term relationships.

Temper tantrums, being mouthy, and not being respectful are just a few effects of being spoiled.  Spoiled children expect to get their way; thus, the child grows into an adult with many behavioral and social issues.”

What would the results have been if the parents had taught their children to have a more positive outlook or attitude?  How different would this story have been?  Galatians 5:22-23 says, “the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance; against such there is no law.


No comments:

Post a Comment