Saturday, August 25, 2012

Get Outside Of You Box To Do Something New Everyday


Get outside of your box to do something new everyday!  My teachers have encouraged me many times throughout my life to learn by doing something new and uncomfortable.  Lately, I have come to more fully understand the meaning and benefits.  What does it mean to get outside of your box?  Why is it important to get outside of your box?  Who should get outside of their box? 

Getting outside of your box just means doing something new or something you are afraid doing.  In school students are encouraged to do this everyday.  One example was that when I was younger I played the piano in front of people I do not know at a recital. 

“Next we have Teresa.  She will be playing a song by Johan Sebastian Bach,” announced the teacher at the piano recital.  Just hearing my name caused my palms to sweat.  I stood up and walked to the piano on shaky legs.  As I sat down on the piano bench and then I placed my hands on the keyboard to begin my song, my stomach was filled with butterflies and my hands began to shake.  I loved playing the piano at home alone, but no in front of a large group of people.  I began playing my song anyway.  When I finished my song, I felt a surge on confidence rush through me.  I did it!

As a homeschool mom, I encouraged my kids many times over to get outside of their box.  By the time Hannah was ready to take her first college class she still felt uncomfortable.  Here is how she described her feeling in an English class.
  
First Day of Ozark Technical College Class
By Hannah Stewart

“Nervous was my middle name first day of class.  It was my first college class and these thoughts entered my head:  What if I fail the class?  What if I cannot find the room?  Finding the room did not take long at all, so then I was twenty minutes early.  I walked into the class room, plopped into a chair and did not talk to anyone.  During class, I was so nervous I could hardly take notes.  By the second or third class, I was not as nervous and felt more comfortable.  But that first day of class was so nerve racking for me.”

Why is it important to get outside your box?  I understand that it would have been easier not to participate in a piano recital.  I would have been more comfortable just playing the piano at home all by myself instead of the presence of people.  Hannah would have been more comfortable in just staying at home.  She would not run the risk of failing her class.  She would not run the risk of meeting people.  Notice something here.  Both of us learned something new and gained confidence in ourselves.  Being lifelong learners is important in this life.  We must keep our minds growing and active.

Who should get outside of the box?  Students, teachers, business owners, everybody should keep it in their everyday scheme of life.  Going to work and coming home to zone out in front of the television is boring.  You will not grow this way.

For me it is important to get outside my comfort zone everyday especially in my business.  I have discovered that I can accomplish more than I ever thought I could in this life.  My confidence has sky rocketed.  I love the feeling I get when I catch myself doing something that used to make me feel insecure and now I am performing the task without even thinking about it.  I think, “Wow!  Is that me?!”  This growth helps me to be the best business partner I can be.

Lastly and most important is that I want to become all that God created me to become.  Can I do this without getting outside of my comfort zone?  Probably not.  There is one thing I know and that is God is with me helping me do that he wants of me. It says in Isaiah 41:10 “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”      




No comments:

Post a Comment