Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fried Ice Cream? Really?


How is it possible to fry ice cream?  While in Kansas City, my husband and I learned about and experienced a new type of desert.  This desert, fried ice cream, not only stimulated our taste buds, but provided much joy in future settings of our life together.

I well recall the evening Steve and I tasted fried ice cream for the very first time.  My husband and I lived in Grandview, Missouri.  Steve was attending the University of Missouri at Kansas City Pharmacy School and I was working as a research assistant at the University of Kansas Medical Center.  Being students we had very little cash to go out to eat, so this was a rare treat for us.

We were meeting other married pharmacy school students at Annie’s Santa Fe Mexican Restaurant near Gladstone, Missouri.  “Wow!  The parking lot is full!” said Steve on this blustery and cold winter evening.  We finally located a parking space quite a distance from the entrance.  Steve jumped out of our white 1973 Oldsmobile and jogged around to the passenger door to help me out of the car.  Bundled up in winter coats and gloves, I clung to Steve’s arm.  By the time we reached the entrance we were shaking with the zero degree temperatures.

We found our friends, sat down, ordered enchiladas, visited, and laughed.  The food was great!  “You should try fried ice cream,” said Melinda.  “Fried ice cream?  It isn’t possible!” I replied.  Melinda shared that fried ice cream is made by rolling ice cream in toasted granola and topped with whipped cream, chocolate, and a cherry.  “Yum!” I said.  Steve and I tried the desert for the first time.  Absolutely delicious!

I recall another time Steve and I had dining with my aunt and uncle.  At this time Steve and I were living in Springfield, Missouri.  Steve was a pharmacist at Consumer’s.  We were enjoying a great evening and eating supper with my Aunt Emma Lou and Uncle Floyd at the Mexican Villa on National Avenue, which is another one of our favorite restaurants.  After devouring our enchiladas, I observed the menu again.  “I wish they served fried ice cream,” I said.  Uncle Floyd looked at me in unbelief.  “Fried Ice Cream?” he asks.  Nodding my head up and down while smiling, I ask, “Yes, have you not tried it?”  He looks at me questioningly.  You could just read his thoughts.  He was thinking, “Fried ice cream is not possible.  I want to believe you, but I don’t understand.  You have to be teasing!”  We assured Floyd that fried ice cream is real. 

You see, Floyd has a history of being a big teaser.  He loves blowing situations up just to get someone to believe his tall tale.  At supper the situation turned on him.  Now he saw himself as the victim.  He was in a dilemma.  Were Steve and I telling the truth about fried ice cream or not?  Floyd wanted to believe us, if he thought we were being honest; however, he doubted.  He knew that he deserved this kind of teasing.

I have found that some people trust and others do not trust.  Why?  From what I have learned about people is that they view each situation from their perspective.  Floyd and I both, upon learning about fried ice cream, thought it impossible.  The difference being that I trusted Melinda and it was not a daily habit of mine to tease people in telling tall tales.  Floyd, on the other hand, could not trust us just from his history of telling tall tales.   

Galatians 6:7 reads, be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.



No comments:

Post a Comment