Monday, May 14, 2012

Walking the Dogs and Caring for the Cats


Rocket 4-Hers gathered at the Lebanon Humane Society to walk the dogs, care for the cats. Dog food, cat food, and newspapers for kitty litter were freely given today (November 19).

“It was a fun experience,” says Trinity Hammonds.  Each of the three girls, Alyssa Ishman, Trinity Hammond, and Hannah Stewart walked 13 dogs, big and small. Or rather, the big dogs walked the girls.  Some had never been around big dogs.  While the 4-Hers were there, a few people came to adopt a dog.  This is one of the most rewarding things about working with the Humane Society.

The girls spent most of the time with the cats.  A beautiful grey and white cat would jump on the shoulders of each girl.  Cuddly calico cats to huge golden colored cats were loved on and talked to.

The spokes person for the Humane Society expressed how anyone could help.  They are in need of dog food, cat food, kitty litter, and newspapers.  The 4-H Club is making plans to donate more items after the first of the year.


The above article was given to the Lebanon Daily Record for publishing and included in the Rocket 4-H Scrapbook.  I wish to share my personal reflections about the experience.

4-H Clubs, established 100 years ago, are THE BEST organization for students!  4-H encourages new experiences, builds relationships and leadership skills in our young people. 

I had a blast with Alyssa, Trinity, Marilynn (Alyssa’s Grandmother), and Hannah.  We walked 13 small and large dogs.  There were cute cuddly little dogs to huge beautiful dogs.  The little dogs jumped up and down and yapped in their excitement for attention.  They wanted to run.  After walking all the little dogs, the girls decided they wanted to walk the large dogs.  They had never experienced what it is like to lead a large dog.  Hannah found out rather quickly with her dog, Samson, that he wanted to run. He pulled her along.  Huffing and puffing, Hannah says, “I have to put him back, before he gets away from me!”  One time around the building with one large dog was enough for all the 4-Hers.


                                                                            

The favorite part for all of us was the cat section.  There is a grey and white short haired cat named Houdini.  This cat reminded me of the cats we saw at Mallory Square, Key West, Florida one year.  These cats did tricks.  Houdini would jump on a table as you pointed to it.  He would also jump on your shoulder.  It was unique and I loved it.  “I wonder what your father would say if I brought him home?” I asked Hannah.  “I do not know how he got here.  We just came home and here he is.  Look, he is a nice kitty.  Let’s keep him?”  I do not think he would fall for it.  There were many other affectionate kitty cats who loved all the attention.  And the girls loved doting on them.


                                                                                 

As I watched the dedicated workers/volunteers, I could see and feel how much they care for each animal.  It is a happy day for them when a dog or a cat is adopted.  The dog and/or cat seemed to know they were going home with a new family. 

I, also, met Laura who is employed at the Humane Society.  She shared with me a picture of her backyard.  It was filled with 50 cats.  “I have a cat refuge!” she informs me.  These are all cats she adopted from the Humane Society.  “Wow, it is amazing!” I say.  “Each cat has its own beauty and its own distinct personality!” she shares.  Laura fits all the criteria for being a true cat lover!

I remembered adopting three cats from the Humane Society and eight others from friends over the years.  Any animal we adopted was with us for life as we took care of them. We became great friends.  It makes me sad when people do not care for their pets properly.

Later, I posted all the pictures on our Rocket 4-H group for them all to see.  I could tell Hannah really enjoyed the pictures.  She is still talking about her experience.  I think Alyssa and Trinity and Marilynn enjoyed it as well.  I enjoyed the afternoon, too. 

As I reflect, I am thankful to people many years ago who organized such a great club for kids.  These girls bonded together and enjoyed and learned more about dogs and cats.  They are learning leadership.  This leadership can be applied in their own families down the road to teach them about caring for animals.








No comments:

Post a Comment