Sunday, May 20, 2012

Make The Most Of Every Moment

How many of us really stop to enjoy the moments in life?  Do most of us look forward or backward wishing to be somewhere else?  Living in the moment can be challenging, but ever so necessary to be happy and to enjoy what life has to offer.

Early one morning in Des Moines, Iowa I chewed the last bite of my bagel and I thought about my family back at home.  My husband would be getting ready for work at the pharmacy, my son traveling to his flight lesson, and our daughter going to an algebra class.  I was five hours away from my family on a business trip.  I was grateful to be attending this important event, but nevertheless it had been approximately one day since my family and I had the usual lively conversations.

At that moment an idea popped into my brain.  I grabbed my cell phone to send a text to my husband.  “Hello, Darling!  I miss your smiling face!  When you can, give me a call.  I just have to hear your voice.  I love you!”  I pushed the send button, dropped my cell phone in my purse, and smiled.  I knew Steve would be calling me before he went to work.

Shortly, my cell phone buzzed with a text message.  I grabbed my cell phone knowing that Steve sent me a text.  The text read, “Who is this?”  I reread the message and said out loud, “What?”  Why would Steve ask such a question?  Doesn’t he know it was his wife texting?  I looked at the cell phone number.  I began laughing.  I had texted someone else!  I felt relieved that this person did not actually call me.  I responded with a text reading, “I am sorry.  This text was intended to go to my husband!”  I laughed at my mistake as I pushed the send button.

The business event was starting; and I decided to send a text later to my family.  It took much planning and effort from my wonderful family for me to attend this meeting.  I decided to live in the moment and not miss the opportunity to learn from amazing coaches.  After all, I would see my family later in the evening.  I was grateful to be present and decided to focus all my energy on the meeting.  In Psalms 118:24 it reads, “This is the day which the Lord hath made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.”




No comments:

Post a Comment