Monday, May 7, 2012

"Mom and Dad, we eloped!!!"


My family is important to me.  I enjoy spending time with them, helping them in everyway possible, encouraging them, and praying for them.  I am blessed to have shared special moments in their lives such as first words, first steps, riding a bicycle for the first time, roller skating, baking and decorating cookies, graduations, experiencing their salvation and baptisms, and I am looking forward to many more special moments. 

Arriving home at 9 pm on the night before Hannah’s graduation, I walked in the door to see Stephanie with boyfriend, Jeff, sitting together on the couch, my husband, Steve, sitting at the kitchen table, and our two youngest children, Hannah and Chris sitting on the floor.  “Oh my children, we are all together again!  I am so happy about that!” I exclaimed.  It always feels so good to be together!  I love my family!

I set my purse down.  I peered at Stephanie and Jeff.  They looked different for some reason, but I couldn’t quite figure it out.  I had a lot on my mind with preparation for Hannah’s homeschool high school graduation the next day; I had 3 dozen cupcakes to mix, bake, and ice.  I began the preparations as we all visited.

After much talking and laughing, I saw Stephanie fidget and she said, “Oh Mom and Dad!  Jeff and I have something to share with all of you!”  I stopped what I was doing to listen because her tone implied that what she had to say was important!  In fact, I thought she was going to say that she and Jeff were going to get married.  They had been dating for nearly 4 years; it was to be expected. Instead Stephanie blurted out, “Jeff and I eloped!”

I stood there and blinked.  I looked at Stephanie’s beautiful smiling face.  I blinked again.  I looked at Jeff’s smiling face.  I heard Steve say, “Where?”  Stephanie answered, “Eureka Springs, Arkansas!”  I thought the location made sense; Stephanie has always loved that area of the United States.  A serious of different emotions went through my heart in 30 seconds.  The first emotion was denial.  “No, you didn’t!” I thought.  After that I felt confused.  I looked for rings.  No rings.  People do get married without rings.  “Why would you get married without us?” I thought.  Sadness filled my heart.  “I wanted to be there to share the joy.  Why would you ignore us?”  And I began to feel angry.  I didn’t want that to take over.  I wanted to be happy for them.  I decided to take charge of my emotions.  I said with as much enthusiasm as I could, “I am happy for you.”   Stephanie laughed.  She said, “No, we did not elope.  However, we are engaged. ”

Oh, the relief I felt.  I laughed!  Those two ornery kids were teasing me to get a reaction out of me.  They were doing a good job of it, too.  I walked over to them and gave them both a huge hug and tell them best wishes.  I am truly happy for them.  Stephanie raised her hand for me to see her ring.  It is gorgeous!  A blue sapphire with diamonds set all around it!  Stunning! 

A little later in the weekend we gave Jeff a much belated birthday gift.  His hilarious card read on the front, “We couldn’t find a better addition to the family.”  On the inside it read, “We tried to tell her, but she wouldn’t listen.”  We all had a good laugh with the card.  I must share that I agree with the front of the card.  We have a great addition to our family and we welcome our future son-in-law. 

Elopement or marriage either way I would have been happy.  However, I am so grateful that I will be sharing in this memory.  Denis Waitley said, “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed.  Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.”  


                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment