Friday, November 18, 2011

Do The Funky Lady!


Being a parent is a wonderful and blessed experience.  I am thankful that I had the opportunity to be a volunteer in the clubs my children participated in.  During these growing up years, I have developed many treasured friendships.  This experience I am sharing is just one of many great days I spent serving others and having fun!!!

One morning Hannah and I were driving to the 4-H Extension Office to volunteer our services to prepare for an upcoming event.  We turned the volume up on the radio loud and we began singing along with the rock band, Aerosmith.  It was a song from the movie, “Mrs. Doubtfire”, in which we had recently viewed.  “Do the funky lady!” I sang. “Are you for real, Mom?  Those are NOT the words to that song!”, exclaimed Hannah.  “They are, ‘Dude looks like a lady!’” said Hannah as she laughed and laughed.  “Are you serious?  Those words could very well work because Mrs. Doubtfire was quite funky!” and I began laughing at myself.

Smiling, Kim, the 4-H Extension Office Secretary, greeted us with a warm hug as we entered the office!  The three of us were chatting and laughing just catching up on the latest news with our families.  Suddenly, I was curious.  I wondered if Kim saw the movie and heard the song.  I asked, “Did you ever watch the movie, “Mrs. Doubtfire”?”  Kim says, “Why, yes, the boys and I really enjoyed it this past weekend!”  “Hannah and I were listening to the theme song from the movie on the way here.  I thought the words were “Do the funky lady!” I said laughing.  “Oh!  I thought that is what it said, too!” agreed Kim as she shook her head side to side and snapped her fingers.  “What are the words?”  Hannah says, “Dude looks like a lady!” as she shakes her head side to side!  Hannah was probably thinking, “Oh my goodness!  These two Moms are something else!”  All of us broke out laughing again.

When I established this blog last summer, the goal was to keep me accountable in writing my memoirs for my children and to bring joy to my followers.  I spent years just talking about writing my memoirs until one day I made the decision to just do it.  Much to my surprise writing my blog weekly has produced more joy and laughter in my life.  I truly love what I am doing.  Everyday I can’t wait to write the next story and share it.  As I reflect and write my memories on paper, I realize more and more just how much God has blessed my life.  Yakov Smirnoff said “I believe that love and laughter can only happen when one person takes the time to think about what would cause the other person to feel good.”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment