Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bobbie!


When our oldest daughter, Stephanie, was about 2 years old she was given a little rag doll dressed in pink wearing a bonnet.  Stephanie loved the little doll at the very moment she received it.  “Bobbie!” she exclaimed.  This was her attempt to say, “Baby”, so Bobbie became the doll’s name.

Stephanie took Bobbie everywhere.  Bobbie was always tucked under her arm.  Stephanie napped and slept with Bobbie, watched the movie, “101 Dalmatians” with Bobbie, ate with Bobbie, fed Bobbie, shopped with Bobbie, and much more.  One morning Stephanie, Bobbie, and I went shopping at Kmart in Lebanon.  Stephanie and Bobbie rode in the shopping cart.  While I was looking at 1T and 2T clothes, Stephanie was playing with Bobbie.  She set Bobbie on a shelf.  Stephanie and I traveled away from Bobbie.  Stephanie pointed at Bobbie, but I did not understand and I was distracted.  I should have paid attention to Stephanie.

We checked out, traveled home, and ate lunch.  Then it was time for a nap.  Our routine was to sit in a rocking chair together with Bobbie and watch Reading Rainbow before drifting off to sleep.  Only this time Bobbie was not with us.  Stephanie said, “Bobbie?  I want Bobbie?”  I jumped up looking all over the house and the car.  Bobbie was no where!  I began thinking where I saw Bobbie last.  I recalled our shopping experience.  I did not remember getting home with Bobbie.  She had to be at Kmart.  I called, but no doll had been turned in.  The feeling to just go check for myself haunted me, and that is what we did.  We went to the store to check for ourselves. 

On the way to Kmart I told Stephanie that we would find Bobbie.  I believed it.  We walked all over the store.  No Bobbie.  I decided to look again, but this time more carefully.  And lo and behold we found Bobbie on the shelf just where Stephanie had left her.  I handed Bobbie to Stephanie and she hugged her tight.  As I hugged them both, I remember how Stephanie tried to tell me about Bobbie on the shelf and I just kept moving away. 

It is important to stop and to listen.  I know Bobbie is just a toy, but a special toy.  When children are growing up toys are like their best friends.  I am thankful Bobbie was still on the shelf waiting for us.  As Stephanie matured and did not carry her everywhere, she was placed on the shelf in Stephanie’s room.  Stephanie is 23 years old and she still has Bobbie. 









No comments:

Post a Comment