Monday, September 19, 2011

Trust in the Lord With All Your Heart


I lead on fear at Bethel Missionary Baptist Church’s Wednesday Night Bible Study one evening.  Even though I am anxious about leading I am so glad that I follow through when all is said and done.  The learning is worth it all.  I want to share what I have learned. 

Fear is an emotion everyone experiences to some degree or another.  It is caused by the presence of evil, anxiety, or pain.  Some people cower in the face of fear.  Others boldly face fear.  What does the Bible teach us about fear?  How are we as Christians to deal with fear? 

Allow me to share a couple of fearful experiences with you.  I remember watching “The Wizard of Oz” when I was 5 or 6 years old.  It was one of my favorite stories; however, there were parts of the story that absolutely terrified me, such as the witch on many occasions and the monkeys.  I hid behind the coach and peeked around it to keep up on the happening in the story.

Another memorable event was when my three young children, Stephanie, Christopher, Hannah, and I toured the Wax Museum in Branson.  Excitedly, we entered the museum with the anticipation of seeing Elvis and other celebrities, but instead we gasped!  We were face to face with Frankenstein, Dracula, a Werewolf, and other ominous wax figures.  Stephanie and Hannah immediately grabbed my arms.  “We do not want to take another step into this place!”  I responded, “I understand.  However, this is just a small portion.  All we need to do is just walk past these wax figures.  Hang onto my arms, close your eyes and I will guide both of you through.”  Christopher ran on ahead laughing.  Suddenly the elevator door opened revealing a living person in a wheel chair.  “Boo!”  Chris jumped and ran to a closed door since that appeared to be an exit.  He turned the knob to open it and the door would not budge.  The girls squeezed my arm tighter in their panic.  “Let’s get out of here!  Where is the door?”  Our hearts began pounding and beads of sweat appeared on our brow.  Then Chris tried the next door.  Success!  He opened it wide and we all ran through it.

These two stories demonstrate that our imaginations must be controlled.  Our minds can make up all kinds of fears that are not even real.  We all have experienced anxiety.  For example, when I was lost, I wanted to be saved, but was scared to be obedient to Jesus.  I thought people would laugh at me for going to the altar, for praying out loud, and more.  These were all lies from Satan to stop me from seeking the Lord and being saved.  I am so glad I was obedient to Jesus.

The other example is the times the Lord calls on me to testify.  Negative thoughts go through my mind.  Such thoughts as that would be stupid to say, are you really led to stand up?  When I am disobedient I miss out on the blessing and I am also filled with regrets.  I am thankful for the times I have stood for my Lord and received a great blessing.  Living life without regrets is much better.

At this point I want to share a Bible verse that has been a great comfort to me.  It is found in Romans 8:38-39.  It reads, “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, not powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  This tells me that no matter what we encounter in life the God is always with us.  Nothing can separate us from Him.  I love this scripture. 

Where does fear come from then?  In II Timothy 1:7 it says, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”  This reveals that fear is NOT an emotion from God.  God gives us power, love, and a sound mind.  Fear comes from the enemy.

We should never fear, but we are only human.  Like us, Jesus’ disciples were fearful.  In Mark 4:36 we read about their fearful situation.  “And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.  And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow; and they awake him, and say unto him, “Master, carest thou not that we perish?”  And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, “Peace, be still.”  And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.  And he said unto them, “Why are ye so fearful?  How is it that ye have no faith?”  And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, “What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”

Since God is always with us, then we ought not to fear.  But instead have faith in God or trust God to see us through the fear.  I believe that as Christians we should face our fears and push through them to receive a blessing.  We should not hide from our fears like I did when watching the “Wizard of Oz” or run from our fears like Stephanie and Hannah wanted to do in the Branson Wax Museum.  We should push through our fears.  And when we do, we grow into a stronger person.  We allow God to mold us into being more like Him.  Isn’t that amazing?

There are numerous examples of individuals who have faced their fears and overcame them.  A courageous Queen Esther approached the King to plea for her people.  The Hebrew people were protected due to her willingness to trust and obey her God.  Noah overcame the fear of rejection from his peers.  He was building an ark in obedience as protection from a world wide flood.  The world had no rain up until that time.  King David, Mary (mother of Jesus), Stephen, and many others have trusted God to see them through.  I love reading and learning about these great people.

I am recalling Phillipians 4:13.  It says, “I can do all things through Christ which strenghtheneth me.”  Yes, we are never alone in the storms of life.  “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment.  He that feareth is not made perfect in love.”  I am so thankful for God’s love.


No comments:

Post a Comment