Friday, July 6, 2012

Passing By


I am happy to share that I am turning 55 on July 4th.  My life is blessed.  At this time in my life I reflect on decisions I have made over the years.  Did I do all God had for me to do?  Did I fail God?  What does God have left for me to do?

Recently I was browsing in a Downtown Branson Flee Market.  I spied a piece of paper stuffed on a pocket shelf with words written on the front that read, “Since Jesus Passed By.”  It was a song written by William Gaither.  Curiously, I picked up the music and I read the two verses and chorus of the song; I was touched.  I purchased the music and took it home to sing and play on the piano.

Here is how the words to the song read:

“Like the blind man I wandered, so lost and undone,
A beggar so helpless, without God or His son;
Then my Savior in mercy, heard and answered my cry
And Oh, what a difference SINCE JESUS PASSED BY.

All my yesterdays are buried in the deepest of the sea;
That old load of guilt I carried is all gone, Praise God, I’m free!
Looking for that bright tomorrow, where no tears will dim the eye
Well, Oh, what a difference SINCE JESUS PASSED BY.

Chorus
Since Jesus passed by, since Jesus passed by
Oh, what a difference since Jesus passed by
Well, I can’t explain it, and I cannot tell you why,
But Oh, what a difference since Jesus passed by.”

The first verse of this song talks about a helpless blind man whom God had mercy on.  Even though Jesus saved my soul and I went on to allow God to help me make many wise decisions, I was like the blind man.  Like everyone, I experienced challenging and struggling teenage years and adulthood years.  I was blessed to learn much from the pastor of Calvary Missionary Baptist Church, Brother Keith Freeze.  Of all that I learned this one profound statement lodged in my heart.  Brother Keith said, “Anything contrary to the will of God is sin.”  This is an all inclusive definition of sin.  This thought has come to me many times in my life like a small voice speaking within my heart. 

At the time I never thought that the sins could also be self-doubt, false guilt, people pleasing, being fearful, lack of confidence, speaking unkind words to myself, allowing others to speak unkind to me, and more. 

I have pondered more huge questions.  If I settle to be less than what God has planned for me to become, is it sin?  I know God has planted a dream inside of my heart.  He has made me with special traits that are unique to me.  God has set for me a journey to take.  No one else can take that journey except me.  I have much to learn on this journey that strengthens me provided I am willing to grow.  If I don’t take this journey and if I decide to take the easy way, is it sin in God’s eyes?  However, I know I serve a God of hope and a God of forgiveness and mercy.

The second verse of the song talks about my yesterdays being buried in the sea.  All of my failures of yesterday are buried in the sea and now I am free.  At times I have not been living the dream God has put inside of my heart; not believing in myself and not trusting God, not stepping up to the challenge to walk each step of the journey and grow, and not remembering God is with me all the way.  Allowing obstacles such as these is sin in God’s eyes, but this is the sins of the old me.  These yesterdays are buried in the sea and now I am free to move forward with God’s plan for my life.

Jesus has passed by my life again.  It is time to finally become all of what God intended for be to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment