Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Random Acts of Kindnesses


It seems all too often we live in a self-centered world; it is a world where people only think of themselves.  How will this benefit me?  How will this help me?  How long will this take of my time?  How much will I have to go out of my way to complete this task?  Is it my responsibility to take care of this situation?  I am glad to share that our world is not completely filled with people devoid of compassion to a greater or lesser degree, but there are people who genuinely care for others and sacrifice for the betterment of others.  Whether it is a random, unexpected act or a well thought out plan of kindness can fill my heart with joy, love, patience, and faith.

There are two types of kind acts; these acts are either random and spur of the moment or planned with much thought supporting the gift.  It would probably be safe to say that we have all waited in line at the grocery store behind someone who had a cart load of groceries, when we held a mere two or three items.  Mostly I wait patiently for my turn.  However, there is the rare individual who observes my small amount of items and says to me.  “Please go on ahead of me.  You just have a couple of items.”  Or, while waiting on a busy downtown street with cars bumper to bumper one car stops and waves for you to pull out in front of them.  The consideration is awesome and appreciated.

I sweet memory I recall is my youngest daughter, Hannah, receiving this random act of kindness a few years ago.  Hannah tells the story.

“A stranger gave me an unexpected kindness at the Missouri State Fair.  My friends and I were standing in line, figuring how many tickets each person would need for the Tilt-A-Whirl, and wishing tickets did not cost so much.  Suddenly, a stranger walked up to us and said, “I bought too many unlimited ride wristbands.  Do you guys want one?”  We thanked the stranger and took one.  As the stranger walked away, he said, “Have fun!”  We stood there in awe that a complete stranger would be so generous.  There are still good people in the world like the man at the Missouri State Fair.”

Sometimes kindnesses are planned and well thought out.  My Aunt Emma Lou, my Dad’s sister, loved to sew.  In fact just about any type of needlework was her passion.  One of the ways she demonstrated her love for anyone was to make them something pretty.  Being a needlework fan myself, I totally relate and I understand just how much time and energy goes into any project she produced.  Before she passed on she made me a lop-eared stuffed bunny rabbit. I had always wanted one.  She, also, made a counted cross-stitch picture that served as a housewarming gift.  I consider these to be heirlooms; the bunny sits on the cedar chest and the counted cross-stitch picture hangs on the wall.  Aunt Emma Lou made Stephanie, my oldest daughter, a beautiful dress when she was a year old. 

Growing up I recall my mother volunteering to be elementary school room mother a couple of times.  These took time and effort on her part to prepare food and plan games for Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and Easter Parties for 25 students.  I remember homemade cupcakes with orange icing for Halloween; Christmas Tree, star, and angel sugar cookies for Christmas; heart-shaped sugar cookies with red icing for Valentines Day, and a variety of store bought Easter candy in beautiful decorated baskets.  I felt special when the teacher introduced my mother.  The students thanked my mother for the goodies and activities and the teacher thanked my mother for her help and generosity.  She demonstrated just how much she cared for me and my classmates.  Being a mother I understand more fully how much she sacrificed.

Another cherished memory of kindness is when Steve and I were moving back to Springfield, Missouri.  Steve was graduating from pharmacy at University of Missouri Kansas City, MO (UMKC) and I had been employed at Kansas University Medical Center as a junior research assistant.  Dr. Anderson, head of research, asked, “Why are you leaving?  Is there anything that you are unhappy with?  Do we need to increase your salary?  We do not want to lose you!”  I replied, “NO, no, everything is great.  (Well, extra money is always nice.)  It is just like I told you during my interview with you that Steve and I would be moving back to Springfield after two years.”  “Oh, yes, I remember, but I wanted to confirm your reasons for leaving.” spoke Dr. Anderson.  On my last day of work Dr. Anderson bought a 6 foot long submarine sandwich and all the trimmings to express their joy in being apart of the research team and to express blessings for a bright future.  This kindness made me feel very special.  In fact all members of the team were very kind to me.
`
As I share these memories with you, many more appear from the depths of my mind.  Vivid pictures of friends and loved ones flash before me and I must share them with you on this blog.  I remember the love and joy I felt in these kind memories.  I felt joy that someone thought of me.  I felt the love the person must have had for me and I felt love toward the person bestowing the kindness.       

Because I have been blessed so greatly, I am passing the blessings forward, be it small or great.   I am finding ways everyday to bestow kindness on the people I encounter.  Such as sharing a smile, opening the door for someone with their arms full, offering encouraging words, saying “thank you”, taking the time to visit with someone, just anything to make someone’s day brighter.  Andy Andrews said In The Butterfly Effect, that we “have been created in order that we might make a difference.”  We have within us “the power to change the world.”  Who knows how you can change someone’s life just by being kind?

Would you share how someone blessed you with kindness and how has it changed your life?


   





No comments:

Post a Comment