Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cattails!!


You know how it is.  Sometimes in life when you learn the wrong name for an object or a person, it is, then, difficult to replace it with the correct one.  It can be done over time.  This happened to me on a particular occasion only I learned the correct name first and later replaced it with the wrong one accidentally.

“Let’s go to Sonic for lunch!  Please!” plead Stephanie.  “Okay, let’s go!” agreed Steve.  Sonic has always been a favorite.  We especially enjoy their fountain drinks.  My family of five was sitting in our 1984 blue Oldsmobile one cold spring day at lunch.  Steve and I were sitting in the front with our three children in the back.  The approximate ages were eight, five, and two.  We were munching on cheeseburgers and corn dogs, when Stephanie, our oldest daughter, made a comparison.  “Dad and Mom, corn dogs look like the cattails at the pond.”  Steve replied, “Well, yes, I guess they do!”

We had been studying different plants.  Many times we would walk around our property looking at wild flowers, tree leaves, and so forth.  Stephanie was intrigued with cattails.  They are a unique looking tall plant with the tips brown and soft.  She had learned that American Indians prepare bread by grinding up the roots; and she wanted to do the same just to try it.

There were numerous times we would dine at Sonic.  Stephanie now insisted calling a corn dog by her new name, cattails.  When I placed the order I would just remember to say corn dog.  It was no problem until one particular lunch time.  Four people were informing me what they wanted to eat at the same time.  “I want a cheeseburger with a Dr. Pepper, I want a fish sandwich with a Coke, I want a Sonic Wacky Pack with a Strawberry Limeade, and I want two corn dogs!” my sweet and starving family aggressively placed their order with me.  “Wait a minute, slow down!” I said.  Have you ever tried to take so many orders all at the same time without getting confused?

I pushed the red button on the order screen.  “Good afternoon.  Welcome to Sonic.  May I take your order?” asked the Sonic Drive Inn worker.  “Yes, please, I want a cheeseburger without onions and with ketchup, mustard, and mayo.  Next I want a cheeseburger with onion minus the mayonnaise.  Next I would like two wacky packs.  And lastly I would like two cattails with a Strawberry Lemonade!”  Steve and the kids were laughing and laughing.  “Please everyone hold it down so I can hear.” I said.
 
“Maim, we don’t have cattails here!” replied the Sonic Drive Inn worker.  I was silent for a few seconds thinking, “Oh, that is what all the hysteria was about!  Did I actually say cattails without realizing it?  This cannot be happening, but yes it was!”  My family roared in laughter.  Ignoring my ornery family and my embarrassment I said, “Sir, I’m sorry.  I mean to say that I would like 2 corn dogs please.”  The gentleman repeated my order and the cost.  “Thank you for dining with us!”  I turned around to look intently at my family.  “You are all a lot of help!”   We all laughed together. After all, it was hilarious!

As I continue to write and post my stories, I realize that God has blessed my life with many fun-filled and joyous moments even though they are at my expense some of the time.  Just about the time I think I have exhausted my memory of stories to share with you, a ton of stories flood my mind like a wave on the ocean along the beach.  Someone once said, “We do not remember days.  We remember moments in our lives.”  A life filled with hundreds and thousands of blessed moments. 

How about you?  Do you have a special fun-filled moment you would like to share with?  I would love to hear from you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment