Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Lizard Catcher


The Lizard Catcher!

“Stephanie, do you mean to tell me you actually picked up that snake?  And a lizard?” asked her Uncle Buddy.  Friends and relatives were amazed at our daughter’s boldness and confidence in confronting creepy crawly things. 






Stephanie poured her heart into finding and capturing different kinds of lizards, snakes, and insects.  She and her Dad would identify each animal located and then release them back in the woods.  Over time Stephanie developed a very useful life skill. 

On a particular spring afternoon Stephanie, Chris, and Hannah wanted to ride their bikes on the car port just outside the garage.  I confirmed their request, “Yes, you can.  Please close the door on your way out.”  They rushed out forgetting to shut the door in their excitement.  At the exact moment the telephone rang and I did not realize the door was wide open. 

“Oh yes, I am planning on teaching a leaf collecting and identification class for area homeschoolers.  I can’t wait.”  I talked with my friend.  As we continued to share our ideas and plans, I saw movement on the floor.  I froze and gasped!  Walking slowly across the kitchen floor was a lizard, with its mouth open and tongue sticking out.  The creature stopped somewhat dumbfounded and curious as to its location.  Our home did not look like the great Missouri outdoors anymore.

I sat very still thinking.  I wasn’t afraid, but I knew that I probably could not catch it or chase it out the door.  I was thinking, “What if it disappeared in the house somewhere?  What if I found it in my bed one night?  What if I found it in the cabinet?”  I stopped my racing mind.  I first told my friend that I would call her back because I had a minor emergency to take care of.  I knew Stephanie was quick and could catch the lizard.  I yelled for Stephanie to come.  As she came through the garage a short distance, I told her to stop immediately and stand very still.  “Do you see the lizard over there by the bookshelf?”  She shook her head yes.  I asked, “Do you think you can catch it?”  She shook her head yes.

I observed her crouching somewhat.  She was acting like a cat preparing to pounce on a mouse.  Suddenly, like a flash, she leaped in the air and wrapped her hand around the lizard’s body.  The lizard struggled to free itself.  I grabbed an old mayonnaise jar.  We successfully captured the lizard and dropped him into the jar.  Stephanie said, “It looks like a Five-Lined Skink!”

I patted Stephanie on the back and hugged her.  She was a hero!!!!!  Laughing and replaying the situation in my mind, I thought what kind of a mother am I to ask her child to catch a lizard instead of taking care of the situation myself?  I am a mother her knows her strengths and weaknesses.  I am a mother her knows the strength and weaknesses of her children no matter how young they are.   I am a mother who can delegate tasks to be accomplished and thus in the end reach the goals in protecting her family.  We are a family who supports each other through every adversity no matter how small or large.  My family is a GREAT BLESSING to me and I thank God for them!!! 

Last, but not least I am thankful God blessed Stephanie with her special interests and talents.  It has been a huge joy and pleasure watching her grow into a beautiful young lady.  Psalms 139: 14 is so true.  “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment