Monday, February 13, 2012

I Have To Scream!

Let’s ride “Fire in the Hole!  Yes! What about Thunderation?” my three kids excitedly asked.  We had just finished arriving and passing through the entrance into Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri.  Having all of this amazing day ahead of us, we began mapping out a plan of the activities to pursue, and I began facing a few fears of my own.

I love Silver Dollar City’s peaceful atmosphere, friendly people, beautiful hills, craftsmanship, musical talent, special events, and so much more.  On this particular day Stephanie, Chris,  Hannah and I were there taking it all in.  The aroma of fresh baked giant chocolate chip cookies and funnel cakes with powdered sugar filled the springtime morning air.  “Look, there is Hannah’s Ice Cream Parlor,” exclaimed Hannah.  “We have to stop before we leave!”  Every girl named, Hannah, is given a free ice cream cone.  At that moment we heard our favorite Bluegrass Band, The Link Family.  What to do first?

We reviewed the schedule of show times for the Link Family and chose 11 a.m. We planned to grab a bite to eat, and lastly get ice cream, with other activities between, as we made a big loop around the park.  We had an hour to ride.  Oh boy!

One of my fears is wild amusement rides.  In fact, I have never had much enthusiasm for wild amusement rides.  The older I become, the less I enjoy rides.  I remember a few times praying to safely get off of the ride.  I made a choice not to put myself in those situations anymore.  That does not mean, I won’t ride, but that I will only ride mild ones.  Thunderation fits this criteria.

Mark Twain once said, “To get the full value of joy, you must have someone to divide it with.”  We, my little family and I, were going to experience the joy of one of our first mild amusement rides together.  We walked to Thunderation which is a roller coaster with a few dips and more circular curves.   I am embarrassed to share that I can endure very few amusement rides without yelling and screaming!  Thunderation, a mild amusement ride, is no different.  As we waited in line watching the smiling and happy faces of the participants, I attempted to convince myself silently, “I will not yell.  I will not yell!”   This was the first exhilarating ride that we were to all ride together; I didn’t want to frighten the kids.

Soon it was our turn to board the car.  Stephanie and Chris rode in front with Hannah and me in the back.  Hannah, only 6 or 7 years old, was not very thrilled about riding, but not wanting to be left behind by her older sister and brother, rode beside me.  Slowly the cars pulled forward and down the hill we went!  Whoosh!!  I stifled a yell, but after the first tilting curve and I could not hold it in anymore.  Yelling around the dips and curves I went!!!  I was finally silent when we climbed up the hill and slowed down.  As we were stopping my son, Chris, turned around and said, “Are you alright, Mom?” “Yes.” I replied, feeling a little embarrassed at everyone’s eyes upon me.

The four of us stepped off the ride and walked up the paved hill.  We busted out laughing.  “What a ride!  Mom your hair was blown straight back behind you.  Why did you yell?” asked Stephanie laughing.  “I couldn’t seem to stop.” I replied, laughing at myself.  We proceeded on to the The Mine Ride, Fire in the Hole, listened to bluegrass music, and ate.  It was a fun-filled day!

After we arrived home, the kids excitedly informed their Dad about all of the day’s adventures!  Hannah sat at the table coloring and drawing as she has done on many occasions. 




Only this time, she drew a picture of me riding Thunderation.  The experience made such an impact on her life that she decided to share this picture with her Grams.  The joy continues to be divided among everyone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment