Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year Resolution for 2012


Every year on New Year’s Eve I mentally write a few resolutions.  Each time I would try to accomplish them and obtain very little positive results.  I am learning that in order to improve my life I must seriously write my resolutions on paper, work on my resolutions daily, and actually see progress over time.

These goals are not something I just try to do.  I don’t just try things anymore!  I focus each and everyday on my goals.  Over time, when I see improvement or results in myself, personally, I become very excited!

Today as I sit before my computer to write my goals for 2012, I remember where I was last year in my life.  The area that I have grown the most in my life is self-confidence.  I have found myself doing things I never thought possible.  I want to continue to become a stronger and a better person.  Shortly before Christmas I read a favorite blog of mine, www.HolleyGerth@blogspot.com.  It is titled, “The Best Gift This Year” and it reads: 

“Have you been to the stores lately?  I’ve seen the shelves piled high with gadgets, new styles, and the latest whatever-you-want. 
And I’m telling you, I think I’ve found the best gift this year.
It’s not available in retail locations, online or for $29.95 plus shipping and handling.
Can you lean in and listen close while I whisper this secret?
Psst…it’s you.
Or, really, Jesus in you.
Yes, my friend, you offer Him to the world in a way no one else can.  And no one else ever will.
You are a one-of-a-kind original.  Not replaceable or exchangeable.
Beautiful just as you are because of your maker.
Designed just as He intended.
More amazing than you even realize
Loved, needed and more valuable than all those fancy things in all the stores in the world.
Yes, Ma’am.
You’re the real deal and don’t you forget it.  Promise?”

I agree with Holley!  God designs not only me, but each of us with our own specialness.  He loves us more than we can comprehend.  When any of us leave this world there will be a void that cannot be replaced.  God has placed combinations of talents and skills in each of us and it is up to each of us to develop them.  I want God to continue molding me just like the potter does with his clay.  Many times that means getting outside of the box and doing things I am not comfortable with.  It means to “Count it all joy when I fall into diverse temptations”, as James 1:2 tells us.  I have experienced the personal growth from this.  It is AMAZING and I LOVE it! 

There are people I help each and everyday in life, whether it is just a smile, an encouraging word, or actual coaching.  It is imperative for me to continue to grow in confidence and to become a stronger person and better Christian in order to help more and more people.  One of my favorite stories is The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King by J.R. Tolkein.  One of the awesome scenes in Tolkein’s writing is when Elrond, founder of Rivendale, encourages Aragorn, a Ranger who is helping the hobbits, a dwarf, the elves, and man.  Elrond admonishes, “Put aside the Ranger, become who you were born to be.”  Aragorn had not become all that he could be yet.  Aragorn had all the characteristics of a Christian king with his humility, healing hands, sacrifice, wisdom, and power over evil.  He did take up his sword and lead the people to victory over the evil ring and became king.

It is the same for me.  I am not all that God has made me to be yet.  But I possess certain God-given characteristics (as all of us possess) that I am developing over time.  It is a goal or resolution or more importantly a prayer of mine to keep on going and growing and becoming all that God created me for.  As I grow stronger each day, I know I will help more and more people.  I can’t wait!










No comments:

Post a Comment