Friday, December 16, 2011

Mary's Little Boy Child


Many times in life I just need to stop and reflect upon the Gifts of God whether it be the rush of the Christmas Season or any day of the year.  On a particular evening I was sitting in my favorite chair, listening to music, praying to God, and allowing my mind to focus on the love of God. I received a great blessing.

It was during the Christmas Holidays I was rocking one or our children to sleep.  The house was dark except for the Christmas lights on the tree and on the fireplace mantle surrounding the Nativity scene.  Holding and rocking my child, I admired the beauty of the lights and Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, the shepherds, the kings, angels, and so on.  I whispered to my child about the love that came down from Heaven.  At the same time we listened to Christmas music.  One of my favorite Christmas songs, “Mary’s Little Boy Child”, began; I just relaxed and listened to the words of that wonderful song. 

Long time ago in Bethlehem -
So the Holy Bible say,
Mary’s boy child, Jesus Christ,
Was born on Christmas Day

Hark now hear the angel sing,
New King’s born today,
And man will live forevermore -
Because of Christmas Day

Shepherds watched their flocks by night –
They saw a bright, new, shining star
And heard a choir –
From Heaven sing,
The music came from afar

Hark now hear the angel sing,
New King’s born today,
And man will live forevermore -
Because of Christmas Day

Now, Joseph and his wife, Mary –
Came to Bethlehem that night,
They found no place to bear her child,
Not a single room was in sight,

By and by they found a little nook
In a stable all forlorn,
And in a manger, cold and dark,
Mary’s little boy child was born,

Trumpets sound and angels sing,
Listen to what they say,
That man will live forevermore
Because of Christmas Day.


As I rocked and listened, I was grateful to be a mother.  There is no words to describe the feeling of rocking my children to sleep, holding and hugging them and feeling his or her softness, smelling their sweetness, and loving them.  When the song ended, I thought that Mary must have had these same feelings. 

I wondered if Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, and the wise men have any stress like all of us do to some extent.  Of course, they did.  You see, I had allowed trials to dim my view of the blessings of this Christmas.  Everything had to be just right, I had to please everyone, attend events, shop, bake, and the list goes on.  We have all been here sometime whether it is Christmas or just life in general.  On that evening I was frustrated.

I looked at Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, and the wise men again.  They all came to see the Christ Child and they all needed Jesus, as do all of us.  I was reminded and realized that Jesus wants us to come to Him and allow Him to take the stress and the burdens away.  He only wants us to trust Him.  How difficult can that be?  I felt a quiet peacefulness there in the family room holding my child and I knew God was and will continue to be in control of my life.  I felt the stress diminish and disappear.  I felt like I was wrapped in Jesus’ arms just as my child was wrapped in my arms.

I stood up and carried my sleeping child to their crib.  Right before I laid them down, I kissed their sweet head.  I walked back into the family room to turn the music and the Christmas lights off and I remembered one of my favorite Bible verses found in Luke 2:10 -11, “Fear not:  for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David of Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment