Friday, August 12, 2011

Wayne's World


Abraham Lincoln once said, “Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”  I have found this to be true in my life experiences.  You must understand that each of us go through our life everyday greeting and being greeted by people. 

We come in contact with people who are either griping and complaining or stealing dreams.  Some people rarely have a smile they are so depressed, skeptical, and unresponsive and others have a robot smile just going through the motions of everyday life.  However, there are people who dramatically stand out among the crowd.  They seem to breathe hope and life into people.  I am sure you have been introduced to an inspirational person like this at some time in your life. I have a few friends who inspire me.  One of them is Wayne Starnes.

I first met Wayne at Christian Health Care South.  My church, Bethel Missionary Baptist, sings and shares with the residents at the health care facility once each month.  Wayne in his wheel chair would sing with us and smile.  He was happy to be in the service.  One service I weakly played backup guitar with my son, Chris.  Wayne was thrilled and encouraged me to keep playing.  The guitar is not my favorite instrument to play; I just do not feel comfortable with the instrument.  But each month Wayne says, “Are you going to play the guitar this time?”  And I feel guilty for not playing.  He just smiles and says, “How about next time?”

Another month while my church was singing Wayne asked if we new a particular song.  It is titled, “Had It Not Been”, but we refer to it as “Wayne’s Song”, since it so touched our hearts.  Our piano player knew the song and played it while Wayne sang.  Here are the words to the song. 

Just suppose God searched through Heaven
He couldn’t find one willing to be
The supreme sacrifice that was needed
Oh, I’m so glad He didn’t call Heaven’s angels
That would buy eternal life for you and me.

But I’m so glad He was willing to drink His bitter cup
Although He prayed “Father, let it pass from Me,”
Oh, I’m so glad He didn’t call Heaven’s angels,
“From my hands pull the nails that torment me.”

Had it not been for a place called Mount Calvary
Had it not been for the old rugged cross
Had it not been for a Man called Jesus
Then forever my soul would be lost.

Another time I saw Wayne was on a Saturday morning.  A few of my friends and I were attending a meeting at the health care facility.  As I walked through I saw Wayne seated with other residents.  Some of them were half asleep and sad looking.  But not Wayne!  What was he doing?  He was sitting there singing a hymn and praising God!  It was beautiful and very touching!  I waved to him and he smiled.  “Hi there!” he exclaimed.   I thought, “Wow!  He is awesome!”  I thought about how Wayne had every right to be frustrated with his life condition.  He cannot be in his own home to take care of himself, does not have his freedoms, and just waits for people to come to him!  And he can sing and be cheerful through all of that?  I felt ashamed of myself.  There are times I allow myself to be sad and down.  Why?  I am healthy, I can come and go as I please, and many, many other blessings!

Another significant meeting was this past Wednesday Night.  Our church sang again while I played the piano.  At the end of the service Wayne raised his hand and said, “You did a great job!”  I waved back and said thank you.  When my children and I prepared to walk down the hall and out the front door, I felt compelled to turn around and go to Wayne.  He was sitting with all the residents in the main room.  As I approached Wayne, he looked up and I took his hand and expressed what was in my heart with teary eyes.  I said, “Wayne, I just want you to know that you are an inspiration and blessing to me.  I love your cheerful heart.  Thank you!”  He looked at me and shared, “I try to be cheerful everyday.  I work on it everyday!  Just be yourself in life.  That is all.”

What surprised and intrigued me was the fact that Wayne made cheerfulness look so easy.  I never expected him to say that he works at it everyday.  Happiness is a choice all of us make everyday.  Happiness is not determined by our circumstances or by the people in our life.  We choose to be happy.  In fact the Bible says to be happy.  One verse that comes to mind is in James 1:2.  It says, “My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptation; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.”   Another one is found in Psalms 118:24 states, “This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.” 

You know I go to bless the residents in the care center.  But what I find is that I am the one being blessed!  My goal everyday is to have a joyful heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment