Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Disguises


“Is tomorrow Shared Learning day?” asked Chris, my son.  Over the years in our homeschooling endeavors, homeschooling families would gather to teach different classes to support and help each other.  It was a way to learn, have fun, and build relationships. 

One of my favorite classes I taught was Spy University.  Why would I teach Spy University of all topics?  My son, Chris, was interested in spies.  I began searching for books; I found Spy University produced by Scholastic Books, Inc.  It was a set of 14 books, each covering a different aspect in being a spy.

There were 6 aspects covered in my class.  The first topic studied was The Spy’s Guide to Disguise.  Spies use disguise to avoid surveillance, to escape, and to keep the spy’s real identity a secret.  Our assignment was to change into a disguise in between fine arts and shared learning classes.  It was a time the homeschoolers gathered in the church gymnasium for The Pledge of Allegiance, Prayer, and announcements.  This was the perfect time for the spy students to try this experiment to blend into to crowd and yet no one recognize them.  It was like Clark Kent running and hiding in a phone booth and jumping out as Superman except not so dramatic.  The spy students were to act a little different, too.  The goal was to discover how well each spy blended in with the crowd.

I, even, donned my own spy attire.  It consisted of a scarf tied on my head and light sunglasses.  As I stood in the corner, I scanned the room for my spy students.  There was a young lady in a leather skirt and hat, a young man in a trench coat, and others with different hats, sunglasses, and blue jeans.  Some applied make-up to mimic the effects of aging.  I noticed other spy students’ personality changed slightly.

Later, we met at Spy Headquarters (classroom) to discuss our adventure.  It was fun watching my spy students enter the classroom laughing.  This is what these kid spies found.  Most peers did not initially recognize them.  The peers looked at them at least twice if not thrice.  “Oh, I didn’t recognize you!  What are you doing?”  or “I really like the new look you have created!”  If the spy students changed their personality people would ask them, “Why are you so quiet today?  You are different!”

These students were having fun learning.  I asked, “Did your disguises work?”  “No, they did not.  We were recognized by our friends,” one of the students replied.  “In order to be successful with our disguises, we must completely transform ourselves.  We must believe and act the part with all our strength and bravado,” I shared with my little spies. 

We talked about an upper class Russian mother and daughter disguising as peasants to escape Russia after the revolution of 1817.  If their disguise didn’t work, they would be in danger.  These students learned that being a spy is serious.  It involves the safety of people such as this.

I am continuing with more Spy University Stories.  In the meantime, does anyone, student or parent, have any memories they would like to share about Spy University

No comments:

Post a Comment