Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Getting Better


“Congratulations!” said a college classmate of mine.  “I am so proud of you!” said friends of family members.  I graduated from Southwest Baptist University in 1978 earning a Bachelor of Science in Biology with special emphasis in Chemistry and General Science.  I was excited about teaching biology at Morgan County R-II Schools.  I knew I would be starting a new career, but at the same time I thought, “Whew, I can finally stop studying so much.”  Little did I understand that when I stop growing, I could not grow into a person of character and I could not help others as successfully. 

It didn’t take long for my life to get stuck in a rut.  As a student in school I was growing and learning everyday.  Even though I continued to learn from my students to a certain extent, my personal growth had ceased.  In fact any growth I obtained was accidental instead of intentional.

The rut I had fallen into was planning to start tomorrow rather than insisting on starting today.  I wanted personal growth to occur, but I was not taking responsibility for my personal growth everyday.  I was learning from my mistakes.  How would me life had been if I had learned before my mistakes? 

I see where I was a hard worker, I persevered many times, I followed through with my commitments, and I did like learning.  Looking back once in a great while I would read personal development books, but never consistently.

Here is the deal.  For the past three years I have dedicated myself to constantly improving myself.  I read and listen to personal development books and cd’s everyday.  I, also, include attending events to listen to inspiring speakers.  All of this is done in correlation with studying the Bible.  It has changed my life.

Many times I find myself accomplishing things that used to scare me.  Today, I confidently speak and do things without a thought.  I become excited when I realize that I have grown.  It is an awesome feeling and I love it.

As time marches on I realize that I am not just getting older, I am getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment