Friday, June 29, 2012

Turning Points

For the past three years I have been involved in an amazing company that is created to help people.  It can help people in all areas of their lives:  spiritual, family, relationships, mental, physical, lifestyle, business, and financial.  I can verify from personal experience that it has changed my life.

Now, I MUST begin by saying I have been blessed with many people who love me and have prayed for me.  We are all God’s people and God loves all of us.  I love everyone where they are in life and I love them with a Godly love.  However, people are people and we are all imperfect.  You see, for most of my life I have allowed false guilt to plague my being and let some individuals speak less than kind to me.  I have been a people pleaser because I thought that would make people like me more.  I have allowed thoughtless people to walk all over my heart. 

My heart was bruised; my self-esteem lowered.  I recall looking in the mirror and saying to myself, “You are dumb and stupid.  It is not surprising no one likes you!”  I would go through life with this kind of self-deprecating thinking. 

I am thankful to share that there were three turning points in my life recently where I allowed God to help me.  The first was when I was hurting about a reoccurring incident.  I was praying and asking why?  I took my heart in my hands and gave it to God to examine.  I asked, “God look into my heart and tell me what is wrong with me.  I am the one at fault.  Examine every aspect of my heart.”  God showed me that I love and care for people.  I have a strong desire to help people and I like to bring joy to people!  I asked myself, “What is wrong with that?”  My response was, “Nothing!  There is nothing wrong at all!”  I realized beyond the humanness of life here on earth there is nothing wrong with me.  I now can accept myself as I am.  That was a huge moment in time for me.

The next turning point was at a Women of Faith Conference (WOF) in St. Louis.  I had decided to attend because I wanted to listen to the musicians sing and to the teachings of the authors.  A speaker was dramatizing a situation that occurred in her life.  In fact, a similar situation occurred in my life.  The likeness was that a woman was looking at herself in the mirror as I have done.  She was saying to herself, “You are an idiot!  You are ugly!  Can’t you ever do anything right?", and the list continued.  This WOF Woman pointed out a couple of scriptures.

She continued that God loves us and we should love ourselves even though we are only human.  I was sitting in my seat hoping no one would see the tears running down my cheeks.  This was a secret place in my heart I shared with no one.  I must say that it is difficult for me to share this with you now, but everyone needs to know how much God loves and cares for us.  God wants us to have a healthy self-esteem.

The last turning point was joining Team National and making the decision to work the business portion of the company.  In addition, I began reading personal development books by John Maxwell, Darren Hardy, Joyce Myers, Earl Nightingale, Jim Rohm, and others.  These authors inspired me and I began to change my thinking.  I have a business coach and business partners who encourage me and believe in me. 

After 2 years in the business I heard my wonderful husband share this story with a friend. “For 30 years I have encouraged Teresa to stand up to people who run over her.  Teresa has tried to stand up from time to time, but never with the right posture or confidence.  After building a Team National business for 8 months, she has finally been able to stand up with confidence, not caring what they thought!  She was free to say, “No” to people’s requests.  This is the end of the false guilt!”  Later, a friend remarks to me, “Teresa, I really like being with you.  You are a lot of fun and you are so positive.” 

“Who can put a price on that?!”  I am thankful for all the challenges and struggles; these are making me stronger every day.  I am thankful for this awesome company!

No comments:

Post a Comment