Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dream Today!

Recently I spent the day at Silver Dollar City.  While the kids were riding all the thrill rides, I was browsing the shops and enjoying my favorite meal, spaghetti, at the Spring House Restaurant.  While sitting at a table, I read a sign.  It said, “We create our tomorrows by what we dream today.”  How many of us actually are pursuing a dream today?

As I graduated high school and college, the speakers at the graduations encouraged us to dream.  Throughout my life I pursued different goals and dreams such as becoming a good teacher, supporting my husband through pharmacy school, owning our home, and being the best wife and mother I could be.  As my children grew I just thought I would return to the work force.  It was not a dream; it was just something I knew I needed to do to help the family.  Something was happening.  I was falling into survival mode! 

One of my favorite fictional stories is “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer.”  In a particular scene Rudolph and friends were headed to the Island of Misfit Toys.  There was a very pretty doll and other toys warming themselves by the campfire.  It was getting so late that they thought Santa was not coming for them.  Someone said, “Well we might as well go to bed and start dreaming about next year!”  Suzy the doll says, “I haven’t any dreams left to dream!”  How many of us are at this point in this life?  This is what I call survival mode; we are just going through the drudgery of life or just getting by!   

I recall when my oldest daughter graduated high school, a Focus on the Family guest speaker, Todd Wilson, came to encourage the graduates.  Little did he know that he inspired me, a homeschool mom!  In his message he spoke these words of wisdom, “Do not let anyone steal your dream!”  My heart smiled as he admonished the graduates to persevere through any obstacle or hardship along their journey.  Let me ask you this.  How many individuals throughout the years have allowed the dream stealers to get them to the point of having nothing left to dream?  How many allow a failure to stop them?  How many are afraid of what people might think and allow this to stop them?  How many have developed such a closed mind set, that they fail to see opportunities God has placed before their eyes?

It says in scripture that God gives us an abundant life!  In John 10:10 it says, “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy; I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”  I believe this scripture and know it is true.  We live in such a negative world that it is a challenge to remember just how much God does care.  He is helping us everyday.  I just continue to hold to God’s unchanging hand.

About two years ago an opportunity presented itself to Steve and I.  I am so very grateful to God for all He has done for my family.  We are now business owners for the first time in our lives!  Our awesome business encourages me to strive for my dreams.  I began dreaming again.  Through the personal growth, I am becoming a stronger person and a better Christian.  I am becoming a person who has undaunted courage and who has the strength of character to help other people build their dreams.  My business has encouraged me to write my memoirs for my family and is helping me to give my husband time freedom to work a pharmacy job because he wants to and not because he has to. It is allowing me to leave a legacy for our children; and that is only the beginning!  You see, I am creating my tomorrows by what I am dreaming today!!








No comments:

Post a Comment