Tuesday, June 21, 2011

How We Met

Since Steve and I have just celebrated our 30th Wedding Anniversary on June 20, 2011, it is a time of reflection for me!  My heart smiles at the memories of our meetings in childhood, college, and church.  I do believe that God allows everything to happen for a reason and that God prepares our hearts for His blessings along the way in life. 

The first time I remember meeting Steve was when I was 5 or 6 years old.  You see, our families having friends in common would get together to play cards and visit.  Steve’s sister and I would play with our Barbie Dolls a lot and I just remember Steve playing on a tire swing with his brothers. 

Our second meeting was at Southwest Baptist University in the summer of 1975. I had enrolled in two freshman level classes:  Sociology and Biology.  Feeling insecure, I arrived at the field house early to search for the location of my Sociology Class.  Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of a guy, whom I did not recognize, following me and catching up to me.  He was average height with brown waves in his hair.  He did not waste anytime striking up a conversation with me.  I learned his name, Steve, from Half Way, Missouri and then I remembered him.  However, Steve did not remember me from our childhood. 

Later that summer, a good friend of mine, Blye, and I were researching an assigned topic for our Sociology Class.  We were sitting at a study table at the Southwest Baptist University Library taking notes and planning out our assignment.  Blye jumped up and said, “My contact is bothering my eye.  I’m headed to the restroom.  I will be right back!”  I continued taking notes, when, suddenly, Steve just popped out of who knows where and began a conversation!  He startled me!  He stood at my study table and began asking questions and carrying on a conversation.  When Blye returned Steve left us to studying. 

I saw Steve a few more times that summer, but I only wanted to be friends. I had a goal to complete college without any distractions.  I had tunnel vision to complete school, get a job, and be self supporting.  And I did complete four years of college in three years. I earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in biology and chemistry and taught secondary school for a couple of years.    

Then the next significant meeting was when I was 22 years old.  I saw Steve at revival services at Calvary Missionary Baptist Church in Bolivar, MO.  Steve was standing at the door and we said, “Hi,” and talked for a bit and I began to realize that Steve was actually a very nice guy and we did have a lot in common such church, goals, cats, and much more!!  Later during that revival he asked me out and the rest is history!

You see, I believe it was all in God’s plan and timing for us to meet.  A wise friend of mine from Versailles, MO gave me some wonderful advice once.  Opal said, “You should pray about who you are going to spend your life with.”  That suggestion made a lot of since to me.  I began to do just that.  Pray.  And God answered my prayer.  God is so good! Steve has blessed my life; he has been a great husband to me and father to our children.  And we have a lot of fun together.  These past 30 years have been a blessed journey and we have a bright future ahead of us.  And I thank God for giving me such a great guy!  As the Bible says in James 1:17, “Every good gift and perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment