Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Greatest Day Of My Life!!!

Growing up in Polk County, Missouri included many, many days playing with my younger brother, Buddy, helping on the farm, school, and going to Calvary Missionary Baptist Church.  As long as I could remember I loved going to church, and when we missed a Sunday, I was disappointed.  I especially loved learning in Sunday school.

One evening I felt a tug in my heart to go to the altar.  I did not know why?  I didn’t want to go to church anymore.  I did not know why?  I just did not like feeling bad.  The feeling initially happened during a summer revival.  It stopped or weakened some on Sundays throughout that year.

The next year Calvary Missionary Baptist Church held a revival in May of 1969.  My mother said, “Let’s go to Calvary’s revival.”  I said, “Okay”.  We went several nights and after listening to the Evangelist Austin McGinnis and Pastor Alpha Redford, I became aware of my sad condition.  I was under conviction.  You see, Jesus Christ died for me up there on the cross.  Hurting and fearful I did not want to believe it was for my sins that He suffered, and bled, and died.  I procrastinated.  My pride was getting in the way of what the Lord wanted me to do.  Foolishly, I thought God’s people would laugh at me.

I battle this all week, until one night, the church had a testimony meeting.  Hearing people share what God had done for them spoke to my heart.  At the end of the service there was a time where we all shook hands.  My feet were like lead, and my heart was so heavy and burdened that I felt I could not walk.  I was trying my best to hide what was going on in my heart.  I did not seek the Lord that night.

Driving home I thought I could die in an auto accident without the Lord.  I could not sleep; I could die in my sleep.  I made a decision that if I lived through the day I would go to the altar the next night.  I struggled all day.  I prayed.

I got dressed early and thirty minutes before time to leave some friends came.  I thought, “Oh no, Mom won’t take me to church tonight!”  Finally, the friends left and Mom said, “Let’s go.”

When we arrived at church I tried to sit on the end of the bench, but some people came in and I had to move over.  I did not know how I was going to get around them when the altar call came.  I thought the preaching would never end.

When the altar call came, my feet were heavy and it felt as if someone were holding my shoulders in place so I could not move.  I thought that I must at least try, so I took one step after another.  It became very dark.  I could not see where I was going.  I felt my way to the altar.  I prayed a little.  I didn’t know what to do so I sat up on the bench.  The people told me to pray, so I knelt down again.  I did this several times.  Eventually, I felt the Lord telling me to pray out loud.  How was I going to do that?  I did not know how to pray!  And the thought kept coming.  People are going to laugh!  I prayed out loud, “Lord, please save me!”  I heard no one laughing!  I just heard God’s people praying for me.

Suddenly, it seemed like the floor opened up and a huge burden fell out of my heart and rolled away.  I felt peaceful.  I heard Jesus say, “You are saved.  You can get up now.”  I looked up and told my Mother that I was saved.  Everyone was so happy.  I remember sitting on the bench singing and feeling so light and happy.  We all shook hands and hugged.  Everything seemed so bright.  I felt so light.  I thought I could just fly home.

I rode home not scared to die anymore.  I remember lying in bed not scared to die in my sleep, and when I woke up in the morning I still felt wonderful.  I am thankful to my m Mother for taking me to church and for my Father who did not stand in the way.  I am grateful for all the testimonies, and prayers that went up for me.

I have been saved 42 years this past May 30, 2011.  Wow!  God has blessed me in many ways.  I thank Him many times over for saving me, giving me a Godly husband and for saving our three children, Stephanie, Chris, and Hannah.  I know God has many more blessing in store for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment