Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Mouse Or A Careless Habit


Do you ever become frustrated?  Do you ever feel like you have hit a brick wall many times over in teaching good habits?  We all do.  I know God is patient and kind.  When I fail to learn the lesson God has for me, I get another chance to learn the lesson.

One evening after arriving home from an event, my 4 year old daughter, Hannah, and I snuggled on the couch reading a stack of books.  Chris and Stephanie were merrily riding their bikes around in a big circle on the carport.  I could hear their squeals and laughter on this muggy hot summer evening.  Steve tidied up the garage. 

Most of the time the Stewart kids and husband can’t seem to learn to close a door.  Attempting many times to instill this value, I would shout in frustration, “Shut the door, please!”  Shouting didn’t work either.  Jokingly, I declared it was an inherited trait on the Stewart side of the family; however, I knew it was a bad habit.

As Hannah reached for another book, Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, a slight movement caught my eye near the kitchen area.  I hesitated for a moment.  I shrugged.  Perhaps it was my imagination. 

“Meeew!” softly chirped one of our black cats.  It stealthily slinked into the dining room.

“What is going on?” I thought.

At that moment Stephanie came inside the kitchen from the garage.  They had put their bikes away and Steve was closing the big garage door.

“Stephanie, was the wooden garage door open when you came in?” I asked.

“Yes.” Stephanie replied nodding her head up and down.

“I think that when you all left the inside garage door open, a mouse ran into the dining room and Rosie is in there.  Let’s go see.  Hannah, just sit here on the couch.”  I said.

Stephanie and I slowly stepped into the dining room.  Rosie looked up at us.  Suddenly, a dark streak raced from the dining room to the front living room.  The little mouse found a hiding place behind the piano.

“Stephanie go stand in the doorway to prevent the mouse from further running into the bedrooms.” I said.  “Steve, come quick there is a mouse.”

At this exact moment Rosie began sniffing around the piano.  The frightened mouse ran out.  He quickly halted directly face to face with Stephanie.  She loomed over the mouse with legs spread apart like a giant.  Even though the mouse was very small Stephanie screamed.  They were both frightened.

“Aaagh!  Help me!” she screamed.

Steve quickly stepped into the dining room saying emphatically, “Stomp on it!”  

“She’s bare footed!” I stressed.

The mouse dashed between Stephanie’s legs as she screamed again.  He ran into the hot water heater and heating unit closet.

Steve threw his hands into the air in frustration saying, “Great!  Now what will we do?”

We all looked at each other.  “I know.  I have an idea.  Get a mousetrap.  Place some peanut butter on it.  I guarantee you we will have the mouse in 30 minutes.” I said.

Steve replied, “What do we have to loose!  Rose should have done her job!  Rosie, what are we going to do with you?”

We went about the usual bedtime routines.  Suddenly, “Snap!”

Steve and I looked at each other.  “I believe that could be our mouse.”

As Steve picked up the mousetrap with mouse, I told the kids to please shut the garage door behind them.  What if the mouse were to get in bed with you?”

“It would be a nightmare!” Stephanie agreed.

Did the kids learn to shut the door?  Not immediately.  I still had to remind them.  Could it really be an inherited trait or a bad habit?  Is there any hope?  Of course there is always hope.  I believe God gives us a test or learning experience from time to time.  Are we a failure if we don’t pass it the first time?  No, but we may get to take the test again and again until we do pass the test or learn the lesson.

Nothing is impossible with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment