Monday, July 15, 2013

Adding



“How can you make a mistake like this?  You are so dumb!”  Harsh words, such as these, are spoken many times by thoughtless and careless people.  My friends, it is my conviction that one of the most important things we can do to help people is to add value to their life.

There is power in encouragement.  This encouragement could be everything in someone’s life.  It builds people up and it makes them strong.  It makes them want to continue on instead of quitting. 

How can we encourage others?  There are many ways.  For example, the words we speak to people can be a blessing or a curse.  Instead of saying you are so stupid for making a mistake, how much more encouraging would it be to say, “It is okay.  We all make mistakes, just learn from your mistake and press on.”

Another way we can add value to people is to give them our full attention, when they are speaking to us.  We must look at the person speaking, not at your cell phone text message.  Focus on what this person is saying, not what you are going to say next.

We have opportunities during the course of our day to smile and say, “Thank you.”  When I was shopping at a business, an unhappy hostess began taking my order.  I could see a frown and perhaps even a tear was quickly wiped from her cheek.  As she completed my order, I smiled and said, “You did a great job.  I appreciate what you did for me!  Have a great day!”  This hostess smiled back at me in surprise and said, “You are welcome!”

Encouraging others takes effort.  We have to be intentional.  Being encouraging is a lot like crafting a musical instrument, such as a guitar.  The finest wood is carefully chosen, a blue print of the design is drawn, varnish is gently stroked onto the instrument, and so forth.  The whole process is thought out just the way we should think about the words we speak. 

It’s funny, but I find that when I add value or encourage other I feel better about myself.  I see others fell better about themselves, too.  Our son, Chris is a lifeguard.  His job is to watch and be aware of any possible dangers swimmers may encounter while swimming in the pool.  On one such day a dad and his 4 year old son climbed out of the swimming pool.  The dad said to his son, “Micah, stand right here beside me.  Do not get back into the pool.   We will get back in, but I want to talk with my friend for a moment.”  The son nodded his head saying yes.  The son grew impatient waiting for his dad and jumped into the pool barely making a splash.  The dad was unaware and continued his conversation.  Chris saw the son jump in and immediately dived into the pool.  Chris picked the son up out of the water sitting him on the side of the pool splashing water everywhere.  At that time the dad heard the water and looked around to see what was causing all the uproar.  When the dad saw it was his son, he gasped.  The dad said, “Oh my goodness!  I didn’t know he jumped in!  Oh my goodness!  I appreciate what you did for me, Chris.  My son may not be here at this moment if it wasn’t for you!  Thank you!”

Chris came home grinning from ear to ear.  He shared the whole story!  I said, “Look at you!”  Chris get paid for adding value to people.  How awesome is that?

Let’s develop a habit of adding value to others and encouraging them everyday.
Dale Carnegie said, “You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of the world’s happiness now.  How?  By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged.  Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.”

  

No comments:

Post a Comment