Sunday, November 18, 2012

Frog Legs or Chicken Pegs?

Most people will agree with me when I say that my husband, whom I love very much, is an ornery man who loves to tease people.  It is a sort of twisted pleasure of his. 

It was the spring of 1986.  Steve and I were excited.  We were excited about accomplishing our goals.  We both had worked hard and diligently for 3 years.  Steve was near completion of his senior year of Pharmacy School at the University of Missouri Kansas City (UMKC).  It was time to celebrate our accomplishments.  We are grateful UMKC provided several opportunities to honor the pharmacy students with celebrations.

The class of 1986 was invited to Kaufman Stadium by Marion Labs to eat at the restaurant there.  We went along with the class and sat with Melinda and Hamid Abdanan.  They were serving us at our table with appetizers.  One of the appetizers looked suspiciously like frog legs.  I picked it up, sniffed of it to see if it had a wild game smell, started to eat it, and stopped.  Steve, “I asked.  What is this?”  He replied, with a smile and raised eyebrows, “Peg legs which is part of a chicken wing”.  I did not believe him. 

In the meantime our friend Melinda had a big mouthful of chicken peg leg.  “I said do not eat that?  It is frog legs!”   Pluh, pluh, pluh!  Melinda spit out all the food in her mouth onto her plate.  Steve and Hamid got a really good laugh out of that one. 

I still did not believe him so we called the waiter over to our table.  Holding up one of the pieces of chicken, Steve asked, “What is this?”  The waiter, looking confused, said, “Chicken, Sir.”  Steve looked at me and smiled in satisfaction.

Grrrr!  Steve was right!  Deep down in my heart, I knew Steve was telling the truth about the chicken.  I can not imagine him not telling the truth but the coy smile and raised eyebrows threw me off. 

I felt a little embarrassed that Melinda spit the chicken out due to my warnings.  The four of us looked at each other and busted out laughing.  

William Arthur Ward said, “To make mistakes is human; to stumble is commonplace; to be able to laugh at yourself is maturity.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment