Sunday, January 22, 2012

One of the Best Days of My Life!!


By Hannah Stewart

I never thought a civic duty would lead to one of the best days of my life.  It all started when my sister’s boyfriend said, “Let’s go to the Humane Society!”  My sister, her boyfriend, my dad, and I went to the Humane Society and looked around at the dogs and cats.  I love cats, so I ran ahead to look at them.  As I looked around the room at all the cats, I saw a cute, little, orange kitten.  I took him out of his cage to hold him.  I noticed he was the only kitten in the room.  I started to fall in love with him and wanted to take him home with me.  I asked my dad, “Can we take him home?”  My dad said, “Let’s go home and talk to your mother first.”

When we arrived home, I used my art of persuasion to convince my mom to say yes.  I informed my mom, “He was the only kitten there, I will pay for the adoption and vet fees, plus it is my civic responsibility!”  Mom was smiling and thinking about it.  I said, “He is your favorite color for a cat, orange.”  Mom finally said, “Yes.”  I was so excited!  I could hardly wait.

The next day we arrived at the Humane Society early to make sure no one else adopted him.  When they opened, we walked inside.  I could hear the little orange kitten neowing as if he knew I was there.  The caretaker opened the door to the room filled with the cats and then I saw two new kittens.  They must have been brought in after we left yesterday.  They were both a beautiful, creamy orange and white with green eyes.  Now, my decision was difficult.  I had to decide between them.  I was petting the two new kittens when I felt something hitting me on my head.  I looked up and the little orange kitten was vying for my attention.  He started meowing, rubbing his head against the cage as if to say, “Here I am!  Remember me?”  I decided that since I saw him first, I could not resist his sweet, little face.  I told the man, “This is the one.”  “Oh, you want the meower!”

We put the little orange kitten in the cat carrier and drove home.  On the way there, I took him out, and he sat on my shoulder just like a parrot.  When we got him home, we let him out, and he started to run from one end of the house to the other.  I was witting there trying to think of a name for him.  “Dewey?” mom said.  I said, “No.  That does not fit him” Then I remembered a book I bought titled, 2001 Names for a Cat.  I looked in the book for a while.  He ran fast like a jet, but jet did not seem to fit him either.  I saw the name Torpedo and knew that was the one because he was as fast as a torpedo.

Choosing a cat to adopt, caring for the cat, and naming him were all a part of my civid duty.  It made not only one wonderful day, but many.



Hannah and Torpedo relaxing!!!  Silly little kitty cat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment